Friday, April 2, 2010

wedding to-do's are sneaking up on me

I realized last night that I have a TON of crap to do in the next few weeks. I am on an 11 day weekend due to a geology conference my professors are gone to, so maybe I can make use?

1. favors

I have the boxes (for free! from a local knottie who didn't use them - sidenote for my Austin knotties: you guys are more awesome than the ones here. just saying.). I plan to buy the candy on Monday - after some debate, we are going to use Hershey kisses, with a personalized sticker on the bottom. The Easter-themed ones come in pale blue/green/pink, so we are going to buy them on clearance Monday and pick out the pink ones. ta-da. Kind of like this, without the crab, and with a cuter design:



{photo from weddingwindow/theknot}


2. placecard votives

I was thinking I could get this done next week, except for the part where we have only gotten 1 RSVP back so far. That makes it kind of hard. Granted, I could do a few of them since I know Chad and I will be there, our wedding party, parents, etc. So I have officially just re-inspired myself to work on these. I'm printing the names on vellum, and wrapping them around the votive holder. Then, they are going to have a sweet little rustic wreath thing around the bottom. Like so:


plus
{photos from my planning bio, but I think originally from the knot}

3. centerpieces

I finally got the tablecloths (sweet ebay deal, ~$6 each for 90 inch rounds!), and my mom is doing our centerpieces since she used to do interior decorating and is good at it. We need a couple more vases (using different, semi-matchy vintage ones we have found at antique stores), but we have the other supplies, so we just need to sit down and do it.

4. order the liquor

I think we can all agree this is the most important. It is not even complicated or all that time consuming, so I think I can get this done in the next 11 days. We are going to have to choose a cheap white wine though. And a champagne (for toasts). Suggestions?

5. get my dress altered

Luckily, all I need to do is get it taken in (it was 1 size too big when purchased, and I've lost weight.) and have some kind of puffy tulle nonsense sewn into the bottom so it flares out appropriately. I have an appointment for this next Friday, so I think I'm on my way to having this done. Wheeeeee!

6. make the cake stand(s).

I found where too order the wood slices from online for cheap, and my dad is going to get the wood for the base from coworkers/my grandparents' property. This should really be a pretty quick project, and honestly, my dad is the super handy woodworker, so he will be doing the hard work here.



{image from etsy's thestorque blog}


7. finish wedding party gift stuff

I have bought most of what I want to get for my peeps, Chad needs to decide and purchase his, and then it all needs to be packaged up. I'm in the process of thinking up some cute wrapping ideas, but that shouldn't take too long.

8. get stuff for unity ceremony

we are planning to do with wine/letters & box ceremony (google it, I hadn't heard of it before but came across it randomly and thought it was cool!), so we need to basically get a cool box from somewhere for that, and pick a wine to throw in there. and of course write the letters. so here is where I say again, suggestions? For wine and/or a cool box?

9. finish other stationery/table numbers/etc.

I don't see this taking long. Just need to come up with a design and figure out the display options. We aren't doing programs since my mom FREAKED OUT about them our wedding is pretty small. I also need to make menu cards for the buffet, etc.


there is a lot more stuff on my list...but this is a good starting point to bug you guys to recommend stuff to me. GO! haha :)

5 comments:

Christy said...

Love the placecard votives and the unity ceremony - very cool ideas!

2 things we did to save on time:

1) Bought a set of very pretty large apothecary jars and fill them up with the chocolates favors (we used Baci). It took no time at all, looked really pretty, and people could help themselves to as much as they wanted.

2) We nixed the seating chart, table numbers and placecards all together. Glad we did, too, because the weather did not cooperate and all of the seating got completely rearranged. Worked out fine and everyone could sat wherever they wanted. (BUT I really do like your votives idea. If I'd thought of that, I might have still done it)

It sounds like it is going to be a very pretty wedding! I think you're in good shape, and besides, you have that nice 11 day weekend ahead of you! :)

Jen said...

i think blogger is on drugs christy - i didn't get my usual notification email for either of your comments. and i got one for a reply to a comment i left on victoria's blog, but her reply doesn't show up.

anyway, thanks for the tips :)

shannon said...

I love the rustic look of the items you're planning.
So pretty!!

Random idea: Bird Cage. I loved the wreath/nest looking idea around your candles... could you incorporate a birdcage into your center pieces???

I really think I'm going to swoon over your pictures when you get married.

congrats.

Jen said...

thanks shannon! :)

I do like the bird cage idea...we do have a lot of stuff for the centerpieces already, but maybe for a card box or something? of course, i'd also have to find a bird cage!

i hope i swoon over our pictures too. i have super-faith in our photog, but i hope everything comes together in real life the way it does in my head!

Vic said...

I loooove Cristalino for a budget friendly sparkling wine. The fabulous Kate recommended it to me. It's a Spanish cava and we got it for less than $8/bottle at Specs, plus there is usually a discount if you buy a whole case. Check it out! :) Good luck girl!